Monday, April 6, 2015

Springtime Collage

An Academic Festival, Chuck D., a collage workshop, Passover, and Easter; somehow they all stick together in a way that works. Freedom (Passover) and renewal (Easter) were concepts present in both Friday's Seder and Sunday's church service, as well as two events that I attended at NCC's Academic Festival earlier last week.

Seder plate / alter at Easter Mass
(Seder plate photo courtesy of Danielle Graham)




Russ and I both attended a keynote address given by Chuck D., founder of rap group Public Enemy and social activist, titled “Rap, Race and Reality.” He was inspirational, sharing his experience and encouraging everyone to be students of the things about which we are passionate. He talked about the value of sharpening our talents into skills, love as power, collective voice and appreciation of artists that had to “say something.” (I gave him a copy of my CD – “Nothing to Prove, Something to Say.”) He spoke about not becoming a slave to corporate plantations ("CORPlantations") and told us to use the brain in our pocket (phones) as a tool instead of a toy. He asked that we not let “common nonsense” replace common sense; implored us all to be smarter than our smartphones and not be renters of our own mind. He pointed out that we can design ourselves from the inside, by developing our intellect and learning to define the things we love. He reinforced the idea that we can all have goals to provide a cultural service and can all be cultural-ists, "earthizens," and optimists. 

His message was delivered with sincerity, humor, down-to-earth style and a voice that combined experience, well-honed knowledge and purpose. More than an inspiration, Chuck D. was a shining star igniting us all. According to Connecticut newspaper The Hour, Chuck D. has delivered this lecture at over 600 colleges over the last 23 years and NCC President David Levinson described his presence at the Academic Festival as “phenomenal.” Thank you, Chuck D.!

with Russ and Public Enemy's Chuck D.
(Somebody could've told me to fix my hair - lol)

Chuck D. and me


The next day I attended a workshop titled “If You Can Envision It, You Can Achieve It!" - described as "A collage workshop on making your own inspiration board.” I thought it would be a lecture/demonstration. It was not. There was a table set up with magazines, print designs, rubber stamps, markers, cardboard, scissors and glue; and a Professor of “Creative Voice” to guide the way. It was not what I expected at all, but I LOVED IT! Professor Melissa Slattery explained that the idea was to just pick out what seemed attractive to us, from the available materials, and our collages would naturally evolve themselves. Her handout instructed participants not to try to make it perfect or right, but to be playful and “JUST DO IT.” The idea was to create a talisman having something to do with “identity, hopes, goals, sense of humor, playfulness, resourcefulness, and commitment to your academic growth.”

with Nick and Paul

with Professor Slattery


What a great way to get in touch with what motivates us creatively! I picked a gray cardboard slate that said “Cloudy Bay,” but then proceeded to fill it with rainbows of color and words like “Make it Happ...” (which could stand for "Make it Happen" or "Make it Happy") and “Just Do It.” Every piece I glued on was something that I liked - for the color, the picture, or for the thought it provoked. I colored edges, and stamped and glittered sections. My collage represented the idea that we can make anything we desire out of our circumstance. 

As my “Cloudy Bay” transformed into “Colorful Delight,” the piece became a metaphor for life to me. It was all done by simply finding little pieces and scraps that I liked, and arranging them all together. By the end, the whole thing told a story. I truly enjoyed myself, made some new friends in the process, and watched images and ideas that I value, magically unfold in story form right before my eyes.




It seems we can nourish our mind, body and spirit in a natural order with freedom, creative expression, self-discovery, revival, and renewal; then take it all to the next level with education, action and purpose. We can redesign ourselves from the inside out with the proper nourishment. We can spring back to life (just like my kitchen plant) with the proper care.

Before and after watering...

This week, I'll be on the lookout for that which inspires me. I will carry the ideas of Chuck D. and Professor Slattery along with the traditions of Passover and Easter; and nourish my being with the things I love, learning about them and growing myself with purpose and direction.

Namaste,
T


1 comment:

  1. Welcome viewers from Switzerland, Russia and Portugal! Thank you for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete