Monday, March 2, 2015

True Friends...


A relative and I had a saying...

"I love you like you're not related."

We intended it as a compliment because it meant we would be polite. As time passed however, the saying changed. It became:

"I love you like you're related."

THAT was an even bigger compliment because it meant that we wouldn't be afraid to be honest - polite or not.

This week, I had just spent over an hour trying to decide how to respond to a friend when I came across the Oscar Wilde quote above. So I asked myself how good a friend they were. In the end, I decided they were a great friend and that I should be honest, so I went ahead and called them a jackass.  ;)

(pause for laughter)

I'm NOT SAYING that it's ok to hurl insults. THAT honor should be reserved for only the truest and very best of friends - lol. (No, insults are wrong - I know.) I'm also NOT SAYING that I want to run around hurting everyone's feelings with blunt force honesty, but I like to think that a true friend wouldn't really mind if I told them the truth about how I feel. Those friends are the best - the ones that stay and allow you to be yourself. I hope I can speak my mind to my closest friends and that they feel like they can do the same with me.


Namaste,

T

P.S.
A short skit (and true story) about the editing of this blog:

(While debating use of the word "jackass" and its references)

TAN: I don't know. Kids might look at this and call their friend a jackass and never speak to them again. (pause)

RUSS: And you can be proud of your contribution to society. (pause)

RUSS: Jackass.

(Tan erupts in laughter)

Moral of the story: What goes around comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment