Monday, March 23, 2015

Chic Soup

I knew Russ would be traveling to London, England to perform with the legendary Nile Rodgers and Chic. I knew I would be traveling to Buffalo and planned on (among other things) attending Soup-Fest. I joked about how the two events had absolutely nothing in common. Then Russ called…

First and foremost, I am so proud of Russ! He has been working so hard this past year! He has had the distinct privilege of working for Mr. Nile Rodgers of Chic. On Friday, Chic released the first single, “I’ll Be There” from their upcoming album, “It’s About Time,” in London. Russ contributed additional keyboard parts (the basic tracks are all from old Chic multitracks) and is one of the vocalists on the record, in addition to having a recording engineer and mix engineer credit.

Here's an AWESOME short documentary from Nile Rodgers about “I’ll Be There,” the first single:


Here's the official music video:


Meanwhile (back at the ranch) after Russ flew off to London, I drove off to Buffalo. I had been excitedly working on our own music video for “Only Way Home,” as well as website updates and ideas for our next video, and had appointments in Buffalo all day Friday. When a bat got into the house and was flying around the room that I was to sleep in, I was rerouted to the Dunkirk/Fredonia area where Cassadaga Valley High School was staging a production of Mary Poppins! I LOVE that show! Mom and I attended on Saturday. The kids did a FABULOUS job! It's so beautiful when young performers put their hearts and souls into the show. It was absolutely delightful!

Sunday brought with it a lovely church service with a meditation portion that gave me a Blessed opportunity for relaxation and reflection. (Breathe…. Aaaahhh…) The minister said, “In silence the truth exists. In stillness the world is restored.” (Love that.) 

With My spirit revived and nourished, I set off with some friends to Soup-Fest! I never imagined I would be so excited about soup! LOL

With Chuck and Sharon at Soup-Fest 

With Qina and Meg from New York Global Marketing Solutions at Soup-Fest

IT. WAS. AWESOME!!! OMG! OMG! I had some incredible soups (Spicy Chicken Wing, BBQ French Onion, Beer Cheese, Chicken and Ginger, Cold Grape-n-Vodka, Spaghetti and Meatball) and a Guinness cupcake! There was live music and I bought a bowl made by a student attending the same school that had just presented Mary Poppins! Empty Bowls was there – selling bowls made by school kids with proceeds benefitting Friends of Night People. Perfect!



I was just about done writing the first draft of this blog when Russ called from London to say goodnight. The new Chic single was already on the top 40 charts in the UK and finished its first day in the top 25. I told him about Soup-Fest and read him what I had written. When I said that I had given up on trying to find anything in common with his shows and my activities at Soup-Fest, he responded, “Haven’t you ever heard Nile’s song 'Soup for One?'” (No, I hadn’t) “It was sampled by the group Modjo in their song "Lady." We’ve been playing the original "Soup for One" and segueing into the song "Lady" in all of the shows we’ve done here so far.”

LOLOLOLOLOL! So there you have it - the link I was looking for. So what do I make out of it? (The possibilities seem endless…) We have more in common than we think? Seek and ye shall find? Never give up? When in doubt, just ask Russ? Everyone loves soup? Life is a big bowl of soup? LOL

I don’t know. Maybe the question is - what do we choose to make out of it? I DO know that I worked hard this week, did the unexpected, had a great time, took some time out to breathe, ate some delicious soup, and had more in common with Russ, 3500 miles away, than I thought.

Namaste

T

No comments:

Post a Comment