Monday, September 29, 2014

Walk the Weed Walk

The first thing last Monday morning, I became aware that the weeds around the house were out of control.  I felt bad because I had been meaning to "pretty up" the place for awhile, but hadn't gotten around to actually doing it.  (Alright fine.  I'll take care of it.)

Before

After

A few days and fourteen leaf bags later, I had made a significant dent.  I had made several trips to pick up borrowed garden tools, two trips to Home Depot, and been to the nursery and to the town dump.

Russ after we unloaded bags at the town heap

I became a weed pulling machine.  I spent a few hours each day getting rid of weeds, pruning overgrown bushes and ivy and tilling up soil.  I was determined to remove all of the old, unnecessary and unsightly things that were choking out the new and healthy growth.  (Hmm... How could THIS be a metaphor for life???)


I started looking around the house for other possible weeds.  I weeded out my songlist, my closet, my computer desktop, my actual desktop, my purse, my car and the refrigerator.  It was endless.

The gig on Saturday was GREAT!  I met wonderful singers and musicians who were all very nice and sounded fantastic.  The food was delicious and the staff at the gala event was friendly.  I had my updated song list and my newly cleaned out gig bag and was feeling good.  I was pretty sure I knew what this blog would be about.

John, Primadonna, Me, Tony

THEN came church on Sunday.  The minister started talking about "earthing" and harvest and composting.  (C'mon!!!  Really?  I was totally going to blog about this type of thing already!)

Then she said, "You don't want to focus on the weeds."  (HUH?  WHAT?  I was going to blog about the weeds!)  She went on to explain that it's a metaphysical law that what we focus on expands, so we need to focus on the Blessings, the harvest - not the weeds.  We need to clear what exists inside of ourselves that resists prosperity.

OKAY...

I went back home and did some more weed pulling and clipping, but found it somewhat unsatisfying. When it was almost time to wrap it up for the day, I knew what had to be done.  I had to plant.  (This must be what she was talking about.)  Pulling the weeds was not enough.  I had to plant that half flat of Vinca Minor that I bought at the nursery just like I have to plant new ideas.  I couldn't just THINK about doing it.  I had to actually dig a hole, mix in some fertilized soil, place them in the ground, cover their roots and water them.  I have to get the new idea, make room for it, then take the action of planting it and nurturing it.  Action is required.  I have to walk the walk.


This week I will not get distracted by the weeds.  I'll pull them away to make room for the new.  Then I'll focus on the new, on the nurturing, the building, the action.

Have a great week cultivating your new ideas!  Enjoy the harvest.

Namaste,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment