Monday, September 1, 2014

Keeping it Real

"Sometimes life can bring you joy..."

These are the first words of the lyrics I sang with Paul Anthony and Bowlegged Lou (of Full Force) from their new single "I Feel Good, I Look Good, I'm God Good" last week in Washington, DC.

I LOVED IT!

with Bowlegged Lou and Paul Anthony of Full Force

First of all - I was honored beyond belief when they asked me if I was available to do the shows.  It was the week of their new album release and I was to sing with them for two performances.  We were going to do two songs (both duets), and the recording artists on the actual record, whose parts I'd be singing, were Faith Evans and Tisha Campbell.

(Stop. Breathe. Jump up and down. OMG! OMG! Stop. Breathe. Calm down. You can do this.)

with Bowlegged Lou and Paul Anthony of Full Force
You see...

Once upon a time, there was a young female singer/songwriter who moved to the NYC area from Buffalo, NY when key members of her band left to tour with Rick James.  She didn't really know anyone there in NYC but was determined to make it on her own.  One day she nervously dialed the number on a card she received from a team of producers she had met earlier that year at a music conference.  To her surprise, she was met with a warm friendly voice and an invitation to their office/studio.  She went on to record and write songs there.  They were supportive and encouraging and even came down to The Apollo Theater when she competed on Amateur Night.  It was Paul Anthony who suggested the song she sing on "Showtime at the Apollo," which brought her a first place win.

Looking back, it wasn't just all of those specific things that proved most valuable for me.  It was the overall feeling that they believed in me.  I can't even measure how far that went toward my confidence as a vocalist and as a songwriter and I can not thank them enough.

I am blown away and so proud to be a co-writer on one of the songs on their new album!

As time passed and projects led everyone down their own paths, we spoke less often.  It had been a while since we had been in touch when their name came up in the studio as Russell, Joey and I were recording about a year ago.  Joey recalled seeing an episode of Unsung which featured them.  It was Joey who told me that Paul had cancer.

That's when everything at the studio came to a screeching halt as I looked up the episode online and saw for myself...


The message I sent, to a number I had no idea whether or not was still working, was immediately returned with the same friendly spirit that greeted me all that time ago when I had first moved to NYC.  It was amazing and truly heart-warming.

The story of Full Force and Paul Anthony's journey is inspirational beyond description.  Now, with the release of their new album, words can not express how happy I am for them.  I was absolutely thrilled to see them again and it was like a dream come true to perform with them.


When I returned home on Wednesday, I was loving life and got straight to work with a spring in my step.  (I booked two shows before I even switched trains!)

The momentum continued through the weekend.  Saturday was the wedding reception of two wonderfully beautiful friends.  They were positively BEAMING with joy, and their warmth and love radiated through all of us who were present.  Everyone I spoke to shared that sentiment.  As we all laughed and smiled and cried tears of joy for them during the most amazing impromptu speeches EVER, it seemed obvious that this is the kind of pure happiness that God intends for us.  It's just simply the way things are supposed to be.  Nothing else matters.  It was perfect beauty to behold.

Jaynell and Coyote

As we were hugging goodbye, I remember saying, "Hold on to this joy.  It's the only thing that's real."

I believe it.

I'm going to live it - this week especially - and for as long as I possibly can.

Have a Joyous week y'all.

Namaste
T

Sometimes life can bring you joy
Sometimes life can take it away
That's why I stay lifted
and God Good everyday
So let no one steal your joy
no matter what the reason
Know in your heart HE walks with you
step into your season...

- From Full Force's 
"I Feel Good, I Look Good, I'm God Good"

No comments:

Post a Comment