Monday, September 15, 2014

#Proud

What an awesome week!!!

#proud...

First of all, words can not express how proud I am to be a member of SAG-AFTRA.  Through that affiliation, I stand with some of THE MOST AMAZING AND TALENTED PERFORMERS IN THE WORLD!

I began the week attending SAG-AFTRA meetings/events in NYC.  There, I felt absolutely privileged and Blessed to be present among some truly wonderful Angels who walk around masquerading as people.  I am blown away by the incredible talent of fellow members, but even more so by their incredible spirit.  This week, I've reconnected with familiar friends and met new friends who share a drive and dedication to the art and business of music and entertainment that I find beyond inspirational.  To be a part of this family of performers is a most amazing honor.


(Highlights from SAG-AFTRA's 2013 Inaugural National Convention)

#ilovesingers...

The camaraderie and family spirit among performers, entertainers and those who share a passion for the arts truly warms my heart.  Over the years I've often felt that way, with so many groups of people with whom I've worked.  There's just something magical about the bonds that you forge working side by side on stage (AND off) to make a show, a recording, and/or a performance into something special.  There's such a feeling of community and team spirit.

I had the opportunity to spend time with some extraordinary and very accomplished singers and entertainment professionals this week.  There were moments when I was overwhelmed with gratitude and appreciation for all of them - and for countless others who paved the way for us to be able to do what we love for a living.  At one point, I looked around the dinner table and it occurred to me that the the talent, the résumés and accomplishments of those present was staggering, but even more impressive than that was the feeling of family, the kinship, the warmth, the laughter and spirit of love in the air.

L to R front: Janice, Dennis, Felicia, Me
L to R back: Sidney, John, Antonio, Louis, Carlos, Randy, Noah, Dan

L to R: Ada, Dennis, Me, John, Keith, Felicia, Carlos


#nostalgic...

By Friday it was time to make my way to Buffalo, where I had a gig with some very special singers from NYC who traveled all the way to my hometown to perform for a gala event there.  Nostalgia was running high as we remembered the "good ol' days."  Gordon and Wondress were the singers in the very first club date band I played with in NYC - and it was Gordon who introduced me to this band of performers and to Russell Graham (their keyboard player) who would become my husband.  (That first show was at "The Greatest Bar On Earth" - part of Windows on the World at the top of the North Tower of the World Trade Center - where the band played regularly until our last scheduled show there on September 11th, 2001, when the tower fell many hours before any of us were scheduled to arrive.)

There they both were, in my hometown of Buffalo, and Russ and I were both on the gig.  Joining us would be musicians from NYC and fellow Buffalonian Ken Witman on saxophone.  The show was great and we all expressed how wonderful it was to work together again.

with Gordon and Wondress

with Russ, Gordon and Wondress

with Ken

with Wondress

with Russ

Russ and Gordon
#gratitude...

As I write this on Sunday, finally relaxing for the first time this week, I recall all the events of the week and smile - thinking of the spirit of family, pride, nostalgia and gratitude that seemed to follow me around.  They were such profound and lovely feelings.  As I begin this week working on new music with my beautiful family of entertainment, music and studio professionals, I'll carry with me the spirit of last week.  I'll remember all of the amazing performers in history who fought for performers' rights and wages.  I'll remember the passionate spirit, friendly warmth and incredible talent of today's industry veterans.  I'll carry the memories of those first gigs in NYC, and reverence for those musicians who welcomed me, and for the journey itself.

This week, I'll walk with confidence and pride.  This week I'll carry all those exquisite people in my heart - with warmth and gratitude.  

Amen.

Namaste, 
T

No comments:

Post a Comment