Monday, October 26, 2015

The Amazing Human Race

Sometimes I get to meet the most amazing and incredibly inspiring people.

This past week, I met a family who has learned to appreciate and value every achievement in life, regardless of how small. This has been part of their life's journey in caring for a child with a developmental disorder. The simple act of learning to eat or making a friend is an occasion to rejoice in their household.

When challenges arise and families learn to navigate the effects of life-altering health issues, people can rise up to meet obstacles with astounding strength, love and grace. There is a beauty in this, that takes my breath away.



I am reminded of a story I heard last week about an Amish community that suffered great loss in a mass shooting in their schoolhouse. Despite the tragic loss of the lives of five young girls, that community’s response was one of forgiveness and love toward the perpetrator and his family. I heard that donations were accepted by the Amish community only on the condition that an equal amount be given to the perpetrator’s family.  (Online sources verify that “some” donations were designated for the perpetrator's family.)

Looking up the incident, I am brought to a stunned silence by the horror of it. I am greatly humbled by the human capacity for forgiveness and compassion as demonstrated by the community's response.

This week, I will remember the capacity for Love that exists inside us all. I will remember that when we are called upon to make a choice, we can choose to meet any challenge, no matter how big or small, with great Love.

Namaste,

T

No comments:

Post a Comment