Monday, January 16, 2012

Confident Persistence vs Needy Stalker: When is it OK?


Ahhhh... the comfort of it all.  The knowing.  Oh happy day.

Not on purpose - I was just making scrambled eggs.


Do you think I’m nuts yet?  Okay, see what had happened was….

I called my favorite teacher – my acting teacher who I had not spoken to in years.  He is one of my most favorite people in the world and my favorite teacher of all time.  First I sent an email.  I literally jumped up and down when I got his response back inviting me to call.  We spoke just before the holidays and he suggested I call back the first week in January so we could set a time to get together.

I called the first Monday after New Year's and wondered how long I should wait before trying again.   As the days passed without a response, I started to agonize over it.  I debated with myself.  On one hand, I didn’t want to bother him.  He is a very busy man doing very important things and I am just a former student from years ago who reached out for help with auditioning techniques and updating and perfecting some monologues.  He’ll call when he can, I told myself.  On the other hand, he was always so encouraging about calling him and keeping in touch.  He would appreciate me following up and calling again.  He is one of those amazing gifted teachers who surpasses the lessons themselves in his teaching and ends up guiding his students through life-changing revelations that inspire them forever.  He would WANT me to be persistent.  He would appreciate my spirit and be proud.  Yet still, in my heart there was the terror of the possibility of offending him with my neediness.  This is my acting teacher and a DAMN good one at that.  He has the ability to look into my soul and see what I am feeling.  I remembered how nervous I was when I first went to meet him all those years ago.  I had been absolutely terrified and he assured me that it was because of the importance that I had placed on that meeting.  He was THE best and I so wanted him to teach me.  He did.  Russell and I both were fortunate enough to take private classes with him for a couple of years.  I let the week pass and decided to call again the following week.

I left another message for him the following Tuesday (Monday turned out to be too hectic of a day).  He called back that afternoon.  J J J  After discussing schedules and objectives, we set a tentative reconnect that weekend.

Before we hung up though, he said, “You know Tanya, you have to be more aggressive with me.  It took you way too long to call back the second time.  This is your art form for God's sake!”  J J J  I laughed out loud before replying, “I was hoping you would say that.”



This business of music and entertainment is full of challenges and disappointments – as is life and business everywhere.  Here especially though there is auditioning and rejection aplenty.  I like to believe that the only person who is truly capable of making you fail is yourself – when you quit.

I’m not going to stalk my teachers or casting directors or agents (I could go on and on here - and am pretty sure that stalking is never OK) but I am glad to be reminded of the value of persistence – especially by someone who cares.  (Launching into song…“Can you feel the love tonight…” - IDK just felt like it OK?)

“Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence.  Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.  Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.  Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.”
-       Calvin Coolidge

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.”
-       Confucius


No comments:

Post a Comment