Monday, January 30, 2012

I Make Plans, Carnegie Hall Laughs

Can you believe this?  I am being mocked by Carnegie Hall.

Have I ever told you all about the unpredictability of life as a musician/artist?  J  (I feel like that’s all I ever talk about sometimes.)  Oftentimes, I live in a whole world of crazy.  Last year, I relocated four times for various projects' beginnings and endings.  Why should this year be any different?

As preparations are underway for the cross-country trek for this year’s L.A. activities, I am going crazy making lists, making plans and trying to get it together.  It feels kind of like planning a wedding with a thousand things that you never thought you had to think about and every task leads to at least five other tasks that have to be done first.  Everything requires an immediate decision and again, before you make one, there are five more that have to be made first.  Am I driving or flying?  Are the dogs coming?  If the dogs are coming then I’ll have to drive, right?  Will Russ drive too or will he fly?  Won’t we need both cars out there?  Which car will I drive?  Will someone drive with me?  Who can I get to come with me if not Russ?  Can we even find an apartment, that allows the dogs, that we can also afford?  (Are you getting the picture here?)  Should I leave on Monday?  Oops, I am due for a doctor’s appointment and they only have an opening on Tuesday.  Will I have to pick up my other passenger in Buffalo?  Should we leave from there?  Well, that’s a big “if” anyway.  (Now are you getting the picture?)  I haven’t even begun to describe the packing process!  What to pack and what to ship?  Do I have any boxes? 

So I FINALLY think that we have established the date on which I will be traveling, THEN the phone rings and I hear:

            “What’s the fastest way to Carnegie Hall?”
            “Huh?  Did you dial the right number?  This is Tanya.”
            “I know.  What’s the fastest way to Carnegie Hall?”
            “Oh.  Is this a riddle?  Okay, I don’t know.  What?”
            “Answer ‘yes’ to my next question… Are you available Wednesday and Thursday?” 
            “GAW!  I was going to… um… uh… I guess I need the money.  (Oops, was that out loud!?)  Yes, I am available.”
           
I soon realized how ungrateful I sounded when presented with the opportunity to sing (as a background vocalist for Ray Chew's band) at Carnegie Hall!!!  What is WRONG with me?!  I had better call back and apologize!  GEESH!!!



This is EXACTLY why we only had two weeks to plan our wedding and why it is so difficult for me to commit to any kind of plan whatsoever.  THIS is why I have to just show up on friends' doorsteps at Christmas time for visits.  This is why I am always calling people at the last minute to see if they can get together “like now.”  J  So my plans got changed.  That’s okay.  This is my life.  I mean, why should I expect anything different? 

I have to go now.  I have to get to the bank, then the pet store, then Kinko's, the grocery store, post office, the other pet store, Target, the car wash, my in-laws, back home, Goodwill, the Transfer Station, dry cleaners, the doctor’s office, Buffalo and everything else on my list – unless something changes.

Xoxo!


No comments:

Post a Comment