Monday, September 17, 2018

How to Keep Your Power

SMH

This week started with friends, went into the challenge of dealing with a bully, and then came back around to good times and friendship.

Before the gig

I’m beyond grateful for good people who act as my heroes in times of need. They’re not superheroes because they swoop in and handle anything FOR me, but because they are there for me to talk to - and in doing so they help shift my perspective to a place of empowerment and Love.

After the gig - with John, Chelsea, and Brian

When you are able to “zoom out” or step back, or away from a bully, things take on a new light. You realize that people who act the way they do must feel very disempowered at their core. Why else would they try so hard to take power away from others? They are THAT desperate. In the end – I feel a little sorry for them. It’s too bad they can’t find a healthy way to feel empowered for themselves.

"Any person capable of angering you becomes your master; 
he can anger you only when you permit yourself to be disturbed by him."
- Epictetus

After my run-in with a bully, I “coincidentally” heard about a young girl who had an issue herself. It hadn’t taken me long to understand the dynamic I was dealing with and turn it around, but I have experience. I don’t envy what a lot of young people have to go through today – and I certainly wouldn’t want to have live my teenage years again. To all of us trying to hold on to our sense of self-confidence, here’s what I think we should remember:

Others do not define us. We define ourselves. NO ONE writes our own narrative for us. It helps to seek out information and support. We can’t always change our life circumstance, school, or neighborhood to free ourselves from those who like to intimidate. What we CAN do is change our perspective. We can learn from others' experience, we can connect with people who encourage us, and we can step away mentally and come back with a fresh outlook. This may seem simple, but it’s not always easy. There IS a way though. There is ALWAYS a way. In those moments before we figure it out, faith has to carry us. Trust that you WILL come to a place of greater understanding. YOU WILL.

Here are a couple of articles I’ve found insightful:



Keep driving toward the sun. 


Have a Blessed week, knowing that you are beautiful, strong, and loved – just the way you are. xo

Namaste,
T


No comments:

Post a Comment