Monday, September 12, 2016

The Spinning Wheel

"That looks so cool! What is that?"

That's what I said early last week when I walked into the little book/gift shop that I frequent, and saw the lady behind the counter demonstrating a most interesting spinning object to a customer. She told me it was a Tibetan Prayer Wheel.


I was in a hurry that day and the shop was busy, so I returned on Friday to look at it in more detail. The shop owner explained to me that the wheel contained a prayer inside (Om mani padme hum), and the idea is that the user says his or her own prayer which is then sent out into the Universe as the wheel is spun around, having a kind of amplified effect. I was so intrigued! I had never heard of such a thing or seen anything like it. It looked important, sacred, something to be revered. I bought it and took it home, eager to learn more about the practice.

Prayer Wheel: A revolving cylinder with or containing prayers, 
a revolution of which symbolizes the repetition of prayer, 
used by Tibetan Buddhists.
(Concise Oxford English Dictionary)



I like the idea of learning something about another culture, another practice, and deepening our understanding of our fellow brothers and sisters. At a time in the world when our differences make headlines and cause unimaginable conflict... Why not respond by finding something new and different to appreciate in a culture we may not be familiar with? I like the idea of making that a habit. What better way is there to oppose forces that seek to divide our human family than finding a way to unite our human spirit through understanding?


Here's to our new discoveries and appreciation!

Namaste,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment