Monday, July 4, 2016

#Goodtimes

Last Monday and Tuesday, Russ sent me a few pictures from Istanbul...






I sent him back a few in response...



On Tuesday, I was on a long drive and unaware of the attacks at the airport in Istanbul when I received the text from Russ saying, "We're all fine here." 

They were on stage in the middle of their set when the shots started firing at Istanbul Ataturk Airport. They (Nile Rodgers and his band "Chic") weren't scheduled to fly out of that airport until 7am the next morning.


Since I knew they were alright before I even knew what had happened, I was not panicked. I could only tune in to static-filled radio reports from time to time, and was shielded from the graphic images I might have seen on TV if I hadn't been on a nine hour long drive.

When I spoke to Russ, he told me there was some hesitation about continuing their show - and especially playing the last song, "Good Times." He said it felt counterintuitive to play such a song at that moment. The decision was made to continue the show though, including "Good Times." Even though it felt completely inappropriate to some of the band members at the time, they found that after the show people were thanking them for playing it, saying that they needed the uplift it provided.

Heartfelt condolences and prayers for peace and comfort for the families of victims 
- and to all those affected by acts of terror around the world.

Russ had another point, which was echoed by another band member in online posts. He reminded me that it wasn't that long ago that I was getting word from a college student I know that they were alright, after a shooter entered their school library and injured three people before being shot by police. It was just a couple of weeks ago that a friend in Orlando checked in as "safe" after the attack at a nightclub there. This time, it was Russ in Istanbul. His point was that anything can happen - anywhere, anytime. We can not be afraid to live. I agreed.

This Fourth of July, I celebrate freedom with the rest of the country. We have so many freedoms... freedom to travel, to follow our dreams, to choose happiness under even the most challenging circumstances...

A happy and safe holiday to all, and to all those we love...


Namaste,
T


No comments:

Post a Comment