Monday, May 16, 2016

#LetItGo

The topic of forgiveness came up several times this week. There was a difference of opinion with someone and the conversation about it that followed. There was a completely unrelated talk with a different friend about their argument with someone. Then there was a butterfly...

While having a difference of opinion via text message with someone, I described my thoughts to a friend I was with. "I don't have to argue. I don't have to get them to understand my point of view. I don't have to be right. All I need to do is walk away," I said.

It struck me as funny how simple that was, yet how challenging that can be sometimes - to just walk away. Oftentimes when we "let it go" or walk away, we do it with an attitude or judgement toward the other party. I meant just really letting go though, without any harsh feelings.

It's easy to stew about some perceived injustice and complain to anyone who will listen. It's easy to walk away and decide that the other person is a _____ (insert undesirable name here). What about actually respecting their perception or circumstance as different than ours, not better or worse?

"To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it."
- Confucious

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Drawing upon what I learned from audio books and seminars I recently listened to (Co-Creating At Its Best, Wayne Dyer, Esther Hicks; The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle; Sacred Contracts and Archtypes, Carolyn Myss), I practiced shifting my thoughts and letting go. I actually felt lighter when I did.

"Resentments are burdens we don't need to carry."
 - Anon.

"Anger dwells only in the bosom of fools."
- Albert Einstein

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."
- Buddha

The next day, someone else I know described an argument that they just had with someone. We talked about refocusing thoughts in a way that would allow any negativity to float away like a butterfly.

Today, a butterfly fluttered across my path as I was pulling out of the driveway. It was big and yellow and beautiful, and danced away into a neighbor's yard as I stopped the car to watch it.

Here's to a beautiful new week... light, fresh, new...  and free...



Namaste,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment