Monday, October 20, 2014

Have a Cookie

I really had no idea what I was getting into when I took a gig singing with Zoe's Big Band Bombshells last week.  Whew!  That was a fair amount of work - AND AN AWESOME GREAT TIME!


sound check - my view from stage

The gig was for the after party for opening night of the Broadway Show "On the Town" - a show that originally premiered on Broadway in 1944.  We played big band style songs in full costume and wigs in lower Manhattan on Thursday night after guests made their way down from the Broadway show at the Lyric Theatre.  We learned Andrews Sisters harmonies, played some big band classics, and also performed some modern pop songs with a 40's style twist.  I had an absolute BLAST!

sound check - as dancers rehearsed

I've always loved the art of "the show" - by that I mean, the careful consideration to costume, hair & makeup, harmony, song selection, set lists, song arrangements, and dance movements along with the contagious emotional energy of the performance.  This show had all of that, complete with rehearsals and plenty of practicing.  I was so impressed with all of the work that our fearless bandleader Zoe put into this performance.  Every detail seemed to be handled with the utmost degree of professional attention and loving care.  (I seriously think she might really be Wonder Woman - but that's another story.)

Me, Zoe, Zhana

The crowd seemed to really enjoy themselves, based on the dancing, the compliments, and the fact that the party was extended in length.  :)  It was such a pleasure and a privilege to be a part of it.  Zoe and Zhana were truly wonderful to work with and I hope I get the chance to do it again soon.

Zhana, Zoe, Me


The rest of the week kind of pales in comparison to that.  There were phone calls, a doctor appointment (follow up for the poison ivy - and I'm fine), a lovely street fair where I bought some very pretty stones for myself and officially began Christmas shopping, a lot of yard work, and a church service filled with dogs.  (Apparently it was "bring your dog to church day" where they had a Blessing of the Animals.)

If there was a running theme this week, it finally became apparent after I loaded twenty-plus bags full of mulched leaves into big paper bags for disposal and decided that it was time for a cookie.

Before

After

I remembered hoping, after all the work that went into Thursday's show, that Zoe had taken a relaxing day off and enjoyed a sense of accomplishment afterward.  I remembered talking to a friend (who is interviewing for some amazing career opportunities) and hoping that, while he is so humble, he can also take pride in and celebrate all of the hard work he has done and all of his accomplishments thus far.  I remembered another friend who enjoys one day off a week from a strict workout and healthy eating regimen to dine at a favorite restaurant.  I realized that the whole after party was a celebration of the fantastic achievement of opening night on Broadway (and like a giant cookie, of sorts).

In church, you could hear thumping sounds as dogs wagged their tails against the pews.  People shared incredible stories about pets - some tear-jerking, some comical.  All of the collection money was to be given to an animal rescue organization, which had a representative there with one of their rescues, Kingston.  Kingston is a very friendly Pit Bull who wouldn't stop kissing every person and dog in sight.  It was hard to believe that just three years ago, he was so fearful of everyone and everything that he appeared aggressive beyond reason.  With love and positive reinforcement he learned to trust again, and is now free to be the genuinely happy creature he really is.  We were reminded of how loving and how forgiving pets are, and how much we can learn from them.

Bentley is a rescue - but we didn't bring him to church on Sunday

The dog two rows behind us kept crawling under the pews trying to meet new people and collect pats on the head.  I remember her owner trying to get her attention by asking, "Do you want a cookie?"  Maybe that's why, as I was admiring the practically leafless lawn later on, I decided that it was "cookie time" for me.  Do we remember to celebrate a hard week's worth of work by doing something enjoyable?  Do we have enough time, or are we always on to the next thing?  Are we always so busy that it seems there never are enough hours in the day or days in the week?  I'll try to remember that it's alright (and even healthy) to sit back for a minute and enjoy a well-deserved sense of satisfaction for a job well done.

I'm going to have a cookie.


Namaste!
T

"Take a Cookie" scene from "The Matrix"

No comments:

Post a Comment