Monday, April 7, 2014

Witness to a Miracle!



It's



a



MIRACLE!!!



On Wednesday, April 2nd (several days after posting my last blog about the dead bird), Sadie began to growl quite seriously at something toward the back of the house.  I got up and moved slowly toward the kitchen.  She was on high alert and I respect her sense of alarm.  Something was not right.  I cautiously opened the door to the back hall and immediately saw what was wrong...



THE BIRD!!!  IT WAS ALIVE!!!

- and it was trying to fly back out.


After snapping this photo I started toward the back door to open it, but soon realized that my head would have to be a foot or two away from the creature in order to do that.  I threw a coat over my head for protection.  After seeing the bird flap around at the door and noticing its pointy sharp beak, I rethought the plan.  I might have gone around outside to open the door from the other side, but it was locked and my keys were in my coat pocket hanging just below the bird.  (ARGH!)  I said out loud, "I may not be afraid of a dead bird, but I AM a little afraid of a live one!"  I was going to have to just face the fear.

I put on my heavy winter parka and my thick hat with the ear flaps THEN put the other thin coat back over my head.  After some initial hesitation and one big deep breath, I swiftly took the plunge and dove toward the back door and opened it, while pulling the other door shut behind me (so he couldn't fly back into the kitchen), and I flung open the screen door as I soared through it to end up standing there on the other side, holding it open for the bird to fly out.  (Whew!)

I stood there until I got tired of holding the door and so I propped it open.  I still had my hat and both coats on and stayed there with my eyes fixed on the door, waiting.  I continued to stand there until I got tired of standing and finally squatted down on my knees.  I couldn't leave.  I had to make sure he flew out and that no other wandering creature went in.  The sun was going down.  I hoped the neighbors weren't watching.  I looked ridiculous standing there staring at the door with garments piled on my head squatting down as if I were peeing on the ground.  I laughed out loud at the thought of how strange I must've looked.

I wondered if I should try to capture the thing with a pillowcase or something.  Swipe at it with a broom?  How long should I sit there?  The dogs in the kitchen were starting to whine.  I opened the back door wider.  Nothing.  I said a prayer for the bird to fly out.  Still nothing happened.  Then I wondered what thought I was supposed to have that would allow me to learn whatever lesson this was about so it could finally be over with.  I changed my prayer to ask for that.  

As the sun was disappearing, it was growing darker and colder.  Finally, I said (out loud) "I'm not going to wait forever."  With that, I heard the flapping of wings and watched the beauty of the moment as the bird who was trapped, whom I had assumed dead, flew off gloriously toward the sunset and I lost sight of him in the tree tops.




I stood in stunned amazement for a moment.  Then I literally filled with joy and began to laugh.  What a perfect ending!  I took the coat off my head, shut the screen door and let the dogs out.  I was BEAMING!  The bird was alive!  The bird was free!  How amazing was that?  What a miracle!

As I told the story to various people, it was interesting to hear different ideas on what it all symbolized.  One person said it means "never give up."  Another said it means "freedom can be ours."  Maybe it means we shouldn't "wait forever" or that we don't have to.  It could be about facing fear or changing what we pray for.  It could be about the Resurrection (I thought the bird was dead for three days and Easter is right around the corner).  It could be about nothing at all!  Maybe it means we should all go out and get a hat with ear flaps - LOL.  It could be about anything you think it's about, and THAT'S amazing too.  :)  Everyone can say something different, but it seems everyone says, "Wow!"

Namaste
T





No comments:

Post a Comment