Monday, November 27, 2017

Here We Go! Holiday Survival Guide 2017

I may do this every year. This list is a work in progress. Time is short (isn't everyone's?) and we have a lot of stuff to do. I have my own thoughts and a very limited amount of time to research, so this is it for this year. There's no shortage of information online though. There are holiday survival guides for every aspect of life, so if there's something specific you're looking for (one dish meals, pet safety, beauty, house cleaning, etc.) you can do a search. As for this list, I've just taken some time out to remind myself about the things that might be helpful as I try to improve this holiday game a little bit each time around.

Started this blog in the store parking lot. Let the shopping begin!

1. Breathe.

Seems simple enough, but I slept in today. I had to. I didn't make it to the gym. I didn't get everything done that I wanted to. I'm not going to feel guilty about that. I needed sleep - end of story. I'm going to approach the season with that mindset. Everything will not get done. That's ok.

2. Get a game plan.

This is no time to wander about aimlessly. I need a list of things to do in order to make the most efficient use of time.

3. Be prepared to abandon the plan.

Life happens. Expect the unexpected and go with the flow. Precious moments can pass us by if we're not prepared to stop and take it all in. Zach said "baby" today. If I was too wrapped up in a plan of accomplishment and not paying attention, I might have missed it. It might not have happened at all if we hadn't taken the opportunity to FaceTime with Mimi (who taught him to say it).

Gotta take a break. He wants me to read him a book.

4. Remain guilt free.

I am going to miss some stuff. I can't be everywhere at all times. There's no room for second guessing and feeling bad about anything. Make a decision and stick with it - or don't - but either way DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT IT. Nobody and nothing is perfect. Enjoy the ride.

5. Be kind.

This seems obvious but today in the store parking lot, a man stopped me as I was driving past. He indicated to me that he was about to pull away and I could take his spot. How nice was that!!! Kindness goes a long way. Let's be a part of the holiday joy and spread the love by being kind to each other. We're all in the same boat here. Let's smile.

6. It doesn't have to be expensive.

One of my favorite go-to stories about this is a childhood memory. An Aunt and Uncle had to "talk" to me. It sounded serious. They explained that money was tight that year and they couldn't afford to get me much. "This is all we could get you..." They proceeded to hand me a plastic cup filled with chocolates. I remember thinking, "WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT? THIS IS THE BEST GIFT EVER!" I never forgot that. People on your list appreciate you thinking of them. The gift doesn't have to be extravagant.

7. Wear a cross body bag.

This is no time to fool around. Everything has to be hands free. C'mon, get serious. Being preoccupied with looking cute will not do. (Wearing heels is OUT OF THE QUESTION. I just don't understand that at all.) That being said, put on a little lip gloss. I feel more confident and am more likely to make friendly connections with people when I feel at least a little bit put together. But can we NOT wear pajamas to the mall please? I mean, let's not get carried away. Strike a balance.

8. Drink water.

Hydration is a must - it ranks right up there with eating and getting enough sleep. This is a marathon. Start drinking enough water. As an added benefit, it may make you feel less hungry and less likely to pig out on unhealthy, desperate snack-age. Also, we'll need to drink plenty of water with any headache medication we may need to take - lol. Seriously though, it doesn't matter if we need to take extra time to find a restroom. Just do it. Drink the water.

9. Don't over-complicate anything. 

I'm always trying to do something extra and add on other tasks. Do something, then check it off the list. Done. Keep it moving and steady as she goes.

10. Enjoy the ride. 

I know I already said it, but it's an important one. Laugh at any and every chance. Spread the smiles. 'Tis the season - enjoy. If I feel the stress coming on and things get frantic... I'll try to let it go. Let's just be happy. Amen.


The grocery store check out clerk seemed tired and on auto-pilot. When Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer came on, I exclaimed, "Rudolph! Here we go!" as I loaded my items onto the conveyor belt. He smiled and continued smiling until I was rolling away and the lady behind me stepped up to the pin pad.

OK. That's all I got. The kid just fell asleep. That means I have to also. xo

Namaste,
T




No comments:

Post a Comment