Monday, March 7, 2016

The Oscars - continued from "Airport Preview"

Whew! Sorry for the delay in catching up... I finally unpacked my suitcases from the last month, paid my bills, ate a home cooked meal (thanks Russ), and took a nap! :)

Singing background vocals behind Lady Gaga at The Grammys for the David Bowie tribute was so amazing. I wondered what experience could ever come close to that level of awesome. Then came  another opportunity to sing behind her at The Oscars...

Outside the Dolby Theater

It was announced that Vice President Joe Biden would introduce Lady Gaga's performance of "Til It Happens to You" (nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song). The song was featured in the documentary "The Hunting Ground," a film about sexual assault on college campuses. Her performance proved to be a very powerful and moving statement about standing up against sexual assault.


I am still at a loss for words about how incredible it was for me to be a part of that performance. In case you missed it...


(And now here I sit staring at the blog page, the same way I did when I first posted from the airport... I don't know what to say next. It seems entirely inappropriate to post happy pictures and tell about the amazing experience of being backstage at the Oscars... Isn't it something how this performance and the story it tells, makes the experience of singing live on The Oscars seem utterly insignificant?)

The fact is - it is beyond what words can describe to be a part of something so much bigger than yourself. "Amazing" and "incredible" hardly capture the sense of fulfillment and purpose that comes from working collectively toward understanding and love. To be able to do that - in front of an audience of millions - is extraordinarily precious. 

I'm so grateful to have had some outstanding and remarkable moments in my professional musical life, with audiences large and small alike. I began this journey in a reggae group called "Positive Force." That is precisely what this Oscars performance felt like, a positive force. Something truly magical happens when we stand together with our brothers and sisters in unity for positive change. What is REALLY amazing is the power we have when we unite. 

Endless thanks to Lady Gaga and to all those creative souls who unite us through music and art. It was such an honor to be a part of that night's family of musicians...

BGVs, Musicians, and Conductor/Orchestrator

BGVs

BGVs


With Instrument Techs Mark and Raegan


As the big lights dim and I return to the quiet of my own thoughts, I'm reminded of the incredible power that can ignite when human spirits join together. We can do amazing things in the world, and connecting with one other soul can be just as meaningful as connecting with many. We often forget our own strength.

Namaste,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment