Monday, November 30, 2020

Feeding America

This holiday season offers a magical opportunity. 


I saw a post from a mom who was seeking advice on how she might explain to her kids that the Christmas gifts would be a little light this year. It got me thinking...


There are a few standout moments from years past for me. One Christmas, when I was a child, two relatives took me aside and explained that they didn't have much money that year and could only afford a very small gift. I'm not certain I was expecting anything from them because I remember being excited that I was getting a gift at all. They proceeded to hand me a plastic cup filled with chocolate. I wondered what on earth they had been talking about because I thought that was the best present ever! I couldn't tell you anything else I received that year, or even the surrounding years, but I never forgot that awesome cup of chocolates. 

One year, a friend told me about her holiday and I never forgot it. She and her roommate had absolutely no money to purchase gifts. Instead, they went around their apartment finding things and wrapping them. The kicker was that they each received things that they already owned. Imagine unwrapping a gift from your roommate to find your own hairbrush, or pair of socks! They had a blast and laughed their butts off! It also held up a mirror to all the wonderful things they already had to be grateful for.


There are so many beautiful holiday memories, but the most precious are always about the time together, the laughter, the love. This year, several people I normally exchange gifts with expressed their desire for me to make a donation in their name instead. It makes perfect sense. I can't remember a time when there was a greater need, and at this moment one dollar provides "at least 10 meals to families in need..." through Feeding America (link above).

Haven't we complained how we overdo it on gifts and lose sight of the Spirit of the holidays, or the true meaning of Christmas? We can get really creative about how we teach our children this year and make a big difference at the same time.

Here's wishing you all a Blessed holiday...


Love, 
T

No comments:

Post a Comment