Monday, May 25, 2015

Peace and Honor

The first thing I saw on Sunday morning was this post from Dr. Wayne Dyer:

"The only thing that feeling bad accomplishes 
is to plummet you into 
anxiety, despair, depression and stress. 
In such situations, 
ask yourself in that moment 
what thought you can have 
that will make you feel good."

I decided to think good thoughts, reposted Dr. Wayne Dyer's words, and got ready for church. Before leaving I said a prayer and asked for help listening. I got to church and the minister said, "I'm going to help you learn how to listen." :)

The first song was "Down By the Riverside."

"Gonna lay down my sword and shield
down by the riverside
down by the riverside
down by the riverside
gonna lay down my sword and shield
down by the riverside
ain't gonna study war no more..."

Pete Seeger, Sonny Terry, Brownie McGhee "Down By the Riverside"

The Reverend talked about Memorial Day and noted how we often speak of war. (I suddenly wondered if "Down By the Riverside" could be interpreted as "anti war" and felt pangs of conflict for singing it with Memorial Day just around the corner and the remembrance of countless brave men and women who gave their lives in service. I certainly would not want to seem disrespectful to any of them.) He recalled watching CNN and spoke about how we constantly feed our minds with negativity. After ten minutes of watching the news, we can become walking byproducts of media doom and gloom. Where was the holiday celebrating peace? What about John Lennon? We can, with intention and practice, quiet the noise and become aware of divine inspiration. We can train ourselves to listen to it.

Alright... Here's the thought that came to me...

I think a great way to celebrate Memorial Day and to honor those who fought and paid the ultimate sacrifice for peace, is to shift mental focus to peace and gratitude. Thank God for all of those who paid for our freedoms and liberties with their lives. I thank them all dearly.


To all those who passed on while serving in the armed forces:

Today (Memorial Day) I will remember you and honor your sacrifice by lifting my thoughts, energy and spirit to a place of happiness and peace. I know that beautiful things happen every day that we don't hear about on the news. I know that people are helping other people in places all over the world. I know that we can accomplish amazing things with love and kindness - and we are.

"To everything... There is a season..."
- Pete Seeger, King Solomon (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

I will make today a season of peace, joy and happiness - inspired by your sacrifice. Thank you.

Namaste,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment