Monday, July 14, 2014

Banish the Funk: 1-2-3 (The attitude, not the music)

What do a trip up a mountain on a horse, a Karate / self defense class, and a beach club gig all have in common?  

They're all part of a three-step process for the banishment of a midweek funk maybe???

It was Wednesday and I found myself getting annoyed by people.  I decided that it wasn’t anyone ELSE'S fault that they were annoying me, but that there must be something going on with ME that I was allowing myself to BE annoyed by others.

My solution?  Get away from everyone and climb up a mountain on horseback.  I don’t know why.  I guess I figured that the solitude and fresh air and horses would help me get my spiritual balance back.  They did!  It was great!


It was a two hour trip up and down a “challenging” trail on the Allegany Reservation in Cattaraugus County, New York.  The Crosspatch Ranch is “nestled in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains” ("Allegheny" is spelled two different ways) and is a family owned horse ranch with an “emphasis on helping people fulfill dreams.”  (OK - I’m down with that.)  Apparently, all their horses are rescues and they also give lessons on how to “throw a rope,” drive cattle and barrel race.  Maybe next time I’ll do that.


So I had a grand time on Kate, who graciously carried me up a steep climb through nature’s beautiful scene and back down through the forest and stream with care.  There’s something so warm about the bond you can make with an animal nine times your weight as you trust them to carry you with gentle grace and they obediently trust your guiding instruction.  Kate even posed for selfies with me after we got back to the barn.  :)  Such a good horse...



I returned with a much better attitude, that wonderful sense of confidence that comes with inner peace and serenity, and a very sore butt.  :)


Next up – Karate lesson.  Ever since I found out that my cousin was an 8th degree black belt, I’d been wanting to go learn a thing or two about Karate from him.  Friday was finally the day!  Off I went with my friend and neighbor Katie to learn some things about self-discipline and the martial arts at Johnson’s Black Belt Academy.  Their mission statement is to “provide men, women and children with the opportunity to realize their maximum potential through martial arts study.” (AWESOME!!!)  They believe “a martial arts education is a vehicle for self-discovery and positive change” and also that “it can improve the world – one person at a time.”  (AWESOME AGAIN!!!)


Greg and Melissa met us there and guided us through demonstrations and a variety of self-defense moves.  



We practiced removing ourselves from choke holds and grabs from the front and from behind.  We learned how to punch and kick and reviewed pressure points.  We learned the importance of keeping centered and balanced and the importance of how to fall.  We were taught moves in which we could throw someone twice our weight off balance while keeping our own, and how size and strength often do not matter in terms of ability to do so.  We sent a rubber knife flying across the room and away from our throats in a mock attack, and threw an instructor to the floor with a series of strategic movements.  We came to understand the value of our mental state in the midst of a physical conflict and were introduced to the idea that we should not allow the shock of injury to deter us from an objective of survival.  








What I learned above all else was that I have much more to learn.  Of course I didn’t expect to become an expert with just one lesson, but I realized that many of us (myself included) don’t even think in terms of real physical conflict or actual self-defense motions under real circumstances.  Sure, most of us are aware of our surroundings and use common sense when walking through parking lots at night, but have we actually thought through what we would do in a real physical conflict?  Do we have ANY IDEA what to do?  Are we prepared to successfully overcome a real challenge in that department?  Or on some level, do we just think that nothing like that would ever happen to us?  Is it cynical to think in terms of being attacked or is it smart to prepare?  How often do we travel down that road mentally?  And how can we expect to respond intelligently if we don’t prepare ourselves mentally, physically or spiritually to be able to defend ourselves?  How much would we benefit from the confidence of knowing that we have even just a little skill at personal defense?


Many of us (thankfully) won’t ever be in a life threatening conflict with another, but learning the skills taught in martial arts can certainly be life altering and life saving.  Even the process of learning these skill sets itself is invaluable.  The benefits to developing ourselves in mind, body and spirit through the process of learning martial arts skills are awe inspiring.  I’ve barely scratched the surface of what there is to learn here and have such a tremendous respect for those who practice these arts. 

Thank you to Greg, Melissa, Johnson’s Black Belt Academy and all those who possess a dedication to learning and teaching, and growing and striving for personal best through the medium of martial arts.  You all are amazing!  I look forward to expanding my own knowledge and potential with your inspiration!

And with that… I was off to my beach gig on the Jersey shore…


Good times, great people, and an amazing view!

Me and Joe Gray

What a GREAT WEEK!  I sure did come a long way from Wednesday's funk!

So I guess I'll have to remember...

Step one: 
Find your balance (sense of peace and serenity – as I did on horseback).

Step two: 
Find some inspiration and a vehicle for self empowerment (as was found in Karate class) for confidence.

Step three: 
Go out into the world with said balance and sense of confidence and let your spirit fly!


Have a great week!

Namaste
T


P.S.
Special thanks to Greg Flagella and Melissa Bailey for the great Karate instruction - and to Caitlin Evanock (Katie) for great pics and great company too! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment