Monday, January 27, 2014

SAD IS BAD... So Don't Ever Do It... (Really?)


SAD IS BAD.  So don't ever do it.

(Is she for real?)  

NO!!!  As I once heard Alan Arkin say, “I’m an actor.  I exaggerate.”

OK – here’s the deal this week… for whatever reason (I’m sure a combination of winter doldrums, stress, hormones and/or any one of the million life circumstances that currently surround me including a probable lack of vitamin D) this was a sort of melancholy week.  So what?

So I found myself wanting to post things like this…

“Disappointments are just God’s way of saying 
‘I’ve got something better’ 
Be Patient… Live Life… Have Faith.”
 –Lanette Sem

Accompanied by my own caption…

“Sitting here by the window, 
as I listen to the birds chirp from outside, 
for a moment… 
I thought I heard… 
Spring.  
And as I write a sad song, I’m reminded that 
the Promise awaits.”

I never posted it. 

Why?  I was afraid people would think I was sad and worry about me and then ask a ton of questions about it and then worry some more and then seem to be appeased but silently think that there was SOMETHING WRONG with me and somehow judge me for it. 

WHAT!??  Why?  Why is it not okay to feel a little blue sometimes?  Should we feel sad, then add guilt to the mix for feeling that way in the first place?  Silly.  How about if we just squish down our emotions into the deep recesses of our core and deny their existence until they finally manifest themselves in the form of an ulcer or some other ailment?  Is it just me, or is this equally as ridiculous?

I’m reminded of my studies in acting.  My favorite teacher impressed upon us that a lot of people go through life suppressing their emotions. This is understandably so a lot of the time.  We can't always go around spouting off whatever it is we feel at any given moment.  I mean, what if you told your boss how you REALLY feel at all times?  What if you never self-edit your emotions to your relatives, significant others or even random strangers?  (Remember that movie “Liar, Liar”?)  How many times have we heard, “Suck it up” or “Don’t let them see you cry” or tried to hide our true emotions for fear of what others might think – or been told we “shouldn't” feel a particular way?


My acting teacher then reminded us of one of the main reasons why we go to the movies, the theater or concerts.  Oftentimes, it's because it is OKAY TO FEEL there in those environments.  At the theater or at the concert hall, it is socially acceptable to FEEL.  We need that emotional release.  This is one major reason why the work that actors, musicians, writers, and artists do is so important – and why music and art in schools is invaluable.





I am NOT SAYING it's okay to try and deal with serious or intense emotions or depression on your own – nor do I intend to make light of them.  Furthermore, if you think you or someone you know is depressed, you or they should seek professional medical attention.  (Sorry if this seems obvious.)


I AM saying that there’s nothing wrong with allowing ourselves to genuinely feel an emotion.  Emotions inform us and guide us intuitively.  I say feel them.  Allow them.  Listen to them.  And what about understanding when someone else feels them?

As for me?  I listened to a couple of sad songs and cried a little, wrote one of my own, searched for (and found) some uplifting inspiration, talked to some friends, got on with the business of life, played with the dogs, went to church and feel better now.  :)


Also, I found this:

Are you troubled and sad? I beseech you
Come out of the shadows of strife –

Come out in the sun while I teach you
The secret of life.

Come out of the world -
Come above it –

Up over its crosses and graves,
Though the green earth is fair and I love it,

We must love it as masters not slaves.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox


OK, I get it...  Don't be a slave to the sadness or troubles of this world...

OF COURSE NOT!  Now THAT really would be bad.



Namaste!

Much Love,

T

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment