Monday, August 22, 2016

The Good News

Early in the week I saw a news report that caught my attention. It was about a couple in Turkey who decided to feed Syrian refugees instead of hosting an expensive dinner reception for family and friends. Amazing.


The story stood out in sharp contract to other news stories. Then came the story of how police officers showed up to a three year old's birthday party when many of the guests cancelled at the last minute and the mother feared it was because of her son's autism. Beautiful.


It was so nice to hear about good, positive things happening amidst all of the other disheartening things. Later still in the week, yet another news report contained a stand out sentence. It said:

"We're often better at outrage than understanding."
- Steve Hartman

It was a story about a well-intentioned woman's community act that was not well received. One can understand the varying opinions on the building of a slave cabin - historic significance and intentions aside.


A major point in that story is how two people with very different perspectives can come to some understanding - and they did. It was another thought provoking and inspirational piece of news.

I suppose I've been watching a lot of news. I'm glad to be reminded that there are good stories. There are so many tragic things happening and so much anger and grief. It is easy to be overwhelmed. It's easy to just not watch at all, but then we'd just be uninformed. 

I'll try to remember that even in the midst of unimaginable loss, amazing human spirit can be found. I don't have to stick my head in the sand in order to maintain my faith in the goodness of humanity. Terrible reports are media highlights, but there IS inspiration to be found. There IS understanding to be gained. I will look for good news. It is there too.


Namaste,
T

P.S. Just as I finished this, a news article popped up on my phone... a baby born... "amid unspeakable calamity..."

No comments:

Post a Comment