Monday, June 27, 2016

Reminder:

Isn't it nice when we get reminders?

First, there was this fruit tree...


It's a "non-fruiting," ornamental, pink cascading, weeping peach tree. Yet there it stands, with fruit all over its branches reminding me that all things are possible.

Then the message at church on Sunday was all about being kind. More specifically, we were reminded to be kind to ourselves. Often when we are young, we may be told not to be selfish, to be kind to others, to think of others. What if we started each day with a reminder to be kind to ourselves? What if we changed our whole concept of what we might think of as "selfish," and started calling it "being kind to ourselves"?

The minister's lecture reminded me of a conversation I once had with a friend who was dealing with some health issues. He said that he had to learn how to be more selfish. (Huh?) He meant that he had to spend more time taking care of himself. Once I understood his meaning, I replied that I didn't think of that as being selfish. I don't think of that as being selfish at all. We actually argued over that.

It's not always easy to change our minds about something.

Here's the plan for this week:

1. Be kind to self and others.
2. Remember that anything is possible.
3. Keep an open mind while staying on the lookout for other "reminders."

Namaste,
T


No comments:

Post a Comment