Monday, June 13, 2016

Fearless


The minister at church on Sunday was not talking about the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. She was talking about a woman she knew who had managed to change her mindset. This particular minister is also certified as an Advanced Clinical Hypnotist, and she was referencing a client who went from constantly expecting challenging situations to "presuming good will." Instead of focusing on what she feared, she learned to anticipate more positive outcomes. Concentrating her thought patterns there, she experienced more desirable, and even exciting and inspirational life conditions.

The topic could have been labeled many different ways. A change in attitude, and the effects that such a change has on our lives, can be credited to faith, God, Law of Attraction, the power of positive thinking, Angels... We can believe in this principle regardless of our culture, background, or religion, calling it whatever name works for each of us. The bottom line is that when we train ourselves to expect good things, we often find more good things happening. One sentence in the sermon seemed so profound to me, I grabbed a pen and wrote it down:

"You're not letting your guard down. You're letting God guard you."
- Priscilla Keresey

During group prayer / healing intentions, we remembered all the people affected by the Orlando shooting. After some moments of silence, I noticed my phone light up. It was a notification that one of my friends in Orlando, FL had checked in as being safe.

In the hours to follow, much of the story unfolded about what had happened in Orlando. People have been expressing concerns about giving in to fear and terror. Some people close to the scene, understandably, have been so terrified that they do not want to leave their homes for any reason. Many, though, have expressed an absolute resolve NOT to be afraid, and are compassionately encouraging others to stand strong. Vigils across the country, and even the world, are uniting people in good intention and in support of all those affected.

"The place where they were attacked is more than a nightclub 
- it is a place of solidarity and empowerment 
where people have come together to raise awareness, 
to speak their minds and to advocate for their civil rights." 
- President Barack Obama

"There is never, ever any justification for such unacceptable crimes against
humanity, crimes against God, crimes against our country."
- Hassan Shibly, 
executive director of the Florida branch of the 
council on American-Islamic Relations

"Let me be clear: Equality Florida stands in solidarity 
with the Muslim and Islamic community 
and in opposition to the intolerance, 
discrimination and hate crimes that both of our communities experience."
- Carlos Guillermo Smith, 
a representative of Equality Florida, an LGBT advocacy group

As the minister's words keep echoing in my mind, I'd like to believe that I decide for myself not to give in to fear of any kind. I realize this sounds easy for me as one who is removed from these particular prejudices, but my power begins with the man in the mirror.


I will not view it as letting my guard down, I will let God guard me. I remember that church hymn, "Be Not Afraid."

I like this version... nice job Emily!

Love and prayers for the victims, the injured, the family and friends of all those impacted, the community of Orlando, and all those facing the effects of acts of terror, hatred and intolerance.

Namaste,
T

* Quotes cited from http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/pulse-orlando-nightclub-shooting/os-orlando-shooting-pulse-nightclub-20160612-story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment