Monday, January 19, 2015

The Balance Beam

"Do not dwell in the past, 
do not dream of the future, 
concentrate the mind on the present moment."
- adaptation of a Buddhist concept

As an exercise, I've been meditating and making a conscious effort to release all that which no longer serves.  I realize that sometimes this includes releasing the thoughts of yesterday.  My intention in doing so is to open my mind.  I don't want to close myself off to new ideas by holding too tightly to the old ones.  I've felt good about doing this - about saying to myself, "I release the thoughts of yesterday."

These last few weeks though, I've been immersed in memories of the past.  I've seen so many people whom I haven't seen in ages.  I've had the chance to spend quality time with people whom I love, who were major influences on me.  I've loved walking down memory lane and revisiting old friends, band members and stomping grounds.

I know that things do not - and can not - remain exactly the same.  I know that it is by moving forward that we find our way back home (a place of peace and serenity).  I also know how much I love and appreciate all of my past experiences and how they all continue to influence my future. 

Clip from The Lion King about "the past":

This week, I will try to balance the beautiful memories of the past with the adventurous spirit of embracing the future.  If my meditation thought had been to "release the thoughts of yesterday," then I have adapted it a little.  I don't want to release all the memories.  I want to be able to visit them with love.  I'll choose to let them inform me.  I'll look back in order to understand myself and my journey better.  Then I'll be better prepared to embrace the future because of them.  

The above quote doesn't advise to forget the past, just not to dwell.  And I WILL allow myself to dream of the future, but I won't get too attached to any ideas of how it will go.  I will live in the present moment, but I won't allow it to eclipse my appreciation for past or future.  One will not exist to the exclusion of the others.  All are true.

"Let go of the past, let go of the future.  
Let go of the present.  
Having gone beyond becoming, 
with mind completely freed, 
you will never again come to birth and aging."
- literal translation of Buddhist verse

I will appreciate each moment.  I can do that while still cherishing the memories of the past and the new frontier of the future as well.  I won't get too lost in the past, too obsessed with the future or blinded by the present moment.

Balance.  That will be the "new" thought of meditation this week.  :)

Namaste,
T
"Gallage" (me, Sharon and Sandra) - from back in the day

Gallage (Sharon, me and Sandra from this past Saturday

Gallage (Sharon, me and Sandra) from this past Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment