Monday, November 10, 2014

Unchartered Territory

At the beginning of the week I saw a few online posts like this...

"If you want something you never had, 
you have to do something you've never done."
- The Mind Unleashed (Facebook)

"An open mind allows you to explore and create and grow.  
Remember that progress would be impossible 
if we always did things the way we always have."
- Dr Wayne W. Dyer

So I started trying to think of things that I've never done, and then do them.  

I found a new gym and signed up for a trial membership.  I quickly decided to join and took a Zumba class (never did THAT before).  The gym membership included a complimentary physical assessment with a personal trainer.  I liked the session so much that I signed up for twelve weeks of personal training sessions (never did THAT before either).  The fitness routine with the trainer included many new exercises, some on machines that were new to me and which I was excited to learn about.  After realizing that Russ could be added to the same membership, I brought him to join too, and we both took a cycle class (spinning class) together.  THAT was new for both of us and was NO JOKE!  WHEW!!!  That was a serious workout.

Thursday and Friday included meetings in the city and in a spirit of adventure I went to two new restaurants that I had never been to before.

Waterfall art inside Rosa Mexicano restaurant - NYC

On Broadway

So, by week's end there were a number of new things I had done.  I soon realized that they had all cost money and wondered if I should do something new that didn't cost anything.  What about volunteering somewhere?

I Yelped "volunteer opportunities" but nothing came up in my area.  What did come up required advanced training and an application that would take time to process.  As "coincidence" would have it, my gig on Saturday was a fundraising event for an organization that is dedicated to developing and promoting volunteerism.  It was one of the same organizations that came up on the search!  The idea was reinforced, and I knew I was on the right track.  Although several meetings that I attended this week involved volunteering my time and efforts for various causes, I wanted to find something NEW, and to do something I have never done before.

At the gig with Joe (bandleader/guitar) and John (bass)

At the gig with Dean (drums)

Sunday brought with it just the opportunity I was searching for and I seized the moment.  After church service, I approached the gentleman who had made announcements, and introduced myself.  I knew that they had been looking for volunteers for various tasks in the past, and asked him what types of things I could help out with within the parameters of my usual "last minute" type of schedule.  He was very nice and welcoming and offered several suggestions of things I could help with - even though I am only a visiting guest to that congregation.  He insisted that Russ and I join the gathering downstairs for brunch and fellowship.  There we were met with friendly faces, hot food and a lovely sense of community.  There was a table near the door with signup sheets for various volunteer activities.  I smiled and stopped to sign up for a few before I joined Russ, who was conversing with a couple of people.  It just so happened that they were talking about the concept of "ask and ye shall receive" as I approached.  I smiled again at the recollection of just how true that had been for me all week.

Just as soon as I had looked for something new to do, I had found it.  Just as I (literally) had searched on Yelp for volunteer opportunities, circumstance had placed me directly at an event held by an organization at the top of the search list!  Just as I set out to find a more immediate opportunity to volunteer, I found several.

Today, as I sit here writing this, it occurs to me that there are many other new things that we can do that cost nothing.  We can forgive someone.  We can love greater.  We can care more.  We can shift something inside of ourselves to a new level.  We can strive to understand someone better.  We can let go of some anger or resentment we've been holding on to.  We can smile at a stranger.  We can go the extra mile on almost anything we do.  We can surprise a loved one with something unexpected.  There's always something new to learn.  All of these things would fall under the category of something "new."  They can cost nothing, require little time and can have great significance!

Russ surprised me with this bouquet :)

This week, I'll keep my eyes open for anything new.  I'll seize moments and take new steps forward.

Namaste!
T

No comments:

Post a Comment