Monday, July 30, 2012

"Physical Perfection"


Just now, as I got out the computer to write this blog (which was going to be about my “vacation”) I picked up the book sitting here on the table as the machine was booting up.

The book is called “Everybody’s Life Preserver” and this copy is about one hundred and forty years old.  I bought it at a farmer’s flea market and auction we attended a few weeks ago.  I don’t know… it looked interesting and it was clearly old.  I opened and read a few sections and wanted to read more.  So, although the guy wanted twenty bucks for it (which really seemed like a lot compared to most other things at this flea market) I gave him the money and brought it home.

The first paragraph on the page I opened up to just now said this:

“We may say, with great truth, that the material glory, permanence, and power of any community consists in the physical vigor of the individual men and women who compose it; for physical perfection gives mental energy and mental health.”

I was inspired.  I thought of those Olympic swimmers we were watching last night.  (While watching, my sister, who currently has three jobs, turned to me and said that watching those tremendous athletes made her feel like the laziest person in the world.  “Me too,” was my response.)  I’ve been trying to eat healthy and get in better shape, but something always seems to prevent me from eating and exercising the way I should.

I ran into the kitchen, where Mom was, and read her this paragraph aloud after proclaiming, “Listen!  Listen!  This is why we have to get up and exercise tomorrow!”

As she slowly turned from the sink, our eyes met and she never had a chance to speak.  The laughter was instantaneous for both of us…  I had forgotten that she was making s'mores…


:) :) :)

Cheers!  Hope you all are enjoying your summer!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment